Aviry is in need of an old school summer. By old school I really mean a 90’s kid summer (Because I am not that old!) that’s how I grew up and I want Aviry to be able to experience some carefree old school fun. In honor of preparing for an old-school summer I am creating a list of some of the fun things we used to do as kids when it was summer vacation and I want my son to be able to experience that as well!
We live in the city in an apartment where there really is not a lot of play space. : ( I grew up with a backyard. And I know that within the next year we will have a home with a backyard for Aviry. He uses the apartment as a play space but I don’t want to stifle his creativity just because I’m not a home owner yet. Aviry prefers the indoors and I want him to see what exciting things can happen outdoors!
I have compiled a list of ways Aviry can have a 90s kid summer! Who needs YouTube when you can play outside all day?
- Super soakers, water guns, water balloons, and sprinklers no summer is complete without any of those items and we all know why!
- Hide and go seek in the dark as a parent this game actually terrifies me but as a kid it was the most fun!
- Riding your bike everywhere you can.
- I think there should be at least one night he’s able to stay out when the streetlights are on. (With adult supervision of course) #helicoptermom
- Road trips.
- So this may not appeal to all the boys out there but I think jumping rope should be a major part of every childs summer. I WAS A BEAST AT DOUBLE DUTCH.
- Limited Technology!
- Parks and playgrounds.
- I think playing sports is an awesome way to really have a 90s kid summer. It doesn’t have to be on the team but I think there’s nothing like a good old fashion basketball game or a good old fashion baseball game to just keep your child in shape and to learn healthy competition.
- Popsicles! Ice cream trucks! Every time an ice cream truck comes by we are there! OK. well maybe not every time but we will be regular customers of the ice cream truck.
- Maybe it’s the Chicago in me but my summer was definitely spent eating sunflower seeds and pickles so I will probably pass that traditional to him as well.
- Learn how to fix a popped bike chain.
- I want him to have a friend over for a few days or him go over a friends house for a few days for so long that they actually know what it feels like to get tired of someone. But still love them enough to where you’re still best friends.
- Saturday morning cartoons! Staying up late with me watching movies that I used to like when I was a kid Saturday morning. Although I am not sure if he is going to love the Baby Sitters Club!
- I want him to find a book that he actually loves and I want him to just spend a day in the house reading because he wants to. Thank the Lord for DogMan.
- Making our own popsicles.
- Lemonade Stand.
- Old school ice cream parlors.
What are your best memories of Summer Vacation? What fun activity do you think our iKids would love!
I would love to hear and pass them along to my kiddo!
Make it a great one!